Tuesday, September 20, 2005

In Biloxi

Whew. I'm beat. It's amazing how tired you can get just by sitting around in different places for 12 hours.

I'm going to have to get some rest now. But let me just say that the drive from Jackson to Biloxi was one slow crescendo of destruction. First, I started seeing billboards and signs blown out. Then I started seeing signs blown over. Then I saw trees knocked over. And more trees. And then roofs were damaged. And then heavily damaged. And then completely blown off.

And then I drove down Pass Road in Gulfport and Biloxi and saw building after building after building in ruin. Some have been patched up and serving the public. Winn-Dixie is open. So are some fast-food joints. But I can see why The Sun-Herald needs the help. They live here.

No comments: