Saturday, September 24, 2005

The work of the church

The efforts of First Presbyterian Church in Biloxi has impressed me. (And, of course, many other churches are doing similar work.)

I have gone to the church for a couple of hours a day just to help move stuff around for them. The piles of canned food you see in the photo are the source of the packages the church puts together.

The workers go down the line and grab two cans of fruit, two of veggies, two of beans, etc. The goal is to create a nice box of supplies for two people. If a family of six shows up, they get three boxes.

When I was there on Wednesday, a bus from a church in Smyrna, Ga., pulled up full of fresh supplies for us.

From food to diapers to water to paper plates, the folks in Smyrna put together not only an impressive amount of supplies, but a thoughtful selection.

I'm proud to play even a tiny part in the work of this church.

I am going to have to go to sleep now, but I hope to report more on Saturday about the needs and how we can help meet them.

No comments: